Tuesday, May 20, 2014

BEDM Day 20 - My New Camera

So I had talked about wanting to learn how to take better photographs and wanting to get a better camera, all of which was after I had already bought (and was waiting anxiously for) this...

It just hadn't arrived yet.  I did not think that this was the DSLR that I was going to get.  I had been looking an Canons and all the small point-and-shoot cameras I have are Canons.  The blogs that I love the photography on here and here both use Canon DSLRs.  But then I looked at reviews (CNET, Top 10 and more...).  And every review that I found that compared entry-level DSLRs recommended Nikon.  The final review I read said to go to a store and pick them up.  They feel much sturdier and well made than the Canon T3i I was comparing it to.  I did and I was sold.  I'm pretty certain that I'm not going to be a professional photographer, so entry to mid-level was all the higher I was looking at.  There are Canons that are much higher level that are very very good, but I wasn't willing to shell out the bucks required for that.  So a Nikon D5200 it was.  I got a nice package with an 18-55 mm lens and a 55-300 mm lens, plus a bunch of other extras, and then I also got a 50 mm f/1.8 lens.  This is the lens that takes the lovely photos I love on most blogs.  And since it's the lens and the photographer that make great pictures I'm on the right track.  Another reason I got the Nikon was because of the shutter speed.  It was recommended for people who take pictures of pets and children and since I take lots of the former and hopefully more of the latter in the future, it was the right camera for me.  Here are a few of my first shots...





No comments: