Sunday, May 18, 2014

BEDM Day 18 - Sunday Tea and Knitting

So I promised I wouldn't whine in this post about my ailments.  *Pulls out soapbox* My cough is still there and nasty.  My left eye has gone back to blurry.  That is all.  *Puts away soapbox*  Okay, with that out of the way lets get down to more enjoyable pursuits.

With today being the real Sunday of my two week stretch I still did a good amount of lazing around.  I am doing laundry...be right back...okay, dryer on...but that is all for the housework.  I refuse to look at the floor and hold my head high as I walk around, but not too high because you always have to be on the lookout for dog chewies and cans.  My baby dogs like to eat out of tuna fish cans you see.  We used to make up their food in bowls (it's a combo of baby meat, veggies, rice cereal and yogurt because of their food allergies), but they started snubbing it after about a week.  Then Mom used a tuna fish can out of desperation one time (I can't remember why) and they loved it!.  See they can pick up the cans in their mouths and haul them away to whatever lair they feel comfortable eating in.  Ariel usually just eats it wherever it falls; Toby likes to grab his and take it to the dining room carpet so it doesn't slide around the linoleum.  Anyways, there are always tuna fish cans all over the house as a result.  Sometimes Toby doesn't eat his right away and will bring it into the bathroom right before we all head to bed.  Other times he just like to neurotically lick out the microscopic specks that are left in the can while laying on the couch in the evening.  It just means that you are statistically more likely to step barefoot on a can in my house than in any other respectable house in town.  Wow.  That was a lot of digression.

The real purpose of the post today was to invite you to Sunday tea!


The real kind.  With teapot, teacups and saucers, creamers and sugar bowls, essentially the works!  Since we were having afternoon tea we added crepes filled with Nutella and bananas and topped with whip cream.  Yum!  It really hits the spot when your aching for something around 2 pm.


Here's the recipe for Mom's crepes if you decide to do tea sometime.  Or just crepes.  It's modified from good ol' Betty Crocker.


Mom's Crepes for Two

1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp butter
1 egg
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
about 1/4 tsp almond extract (often on the heavy side of 1/4 tsp)
1 banana
Nutella

Warm milk and butter in microwave safe dish.  Add an egg and mix well.  Add the rest of the dry ingredients and almond extract and mix until smooth.  Cut banana in thin slices (1/2 a banana per crepe).  Preheat skillet on stove.  Pour half of the crepe mixture into pan and rotate to make a thin large crepe.  When underneath is browning and top is solid, fold 1/2 of crepe on top of other half.  Let it cook a little more, then spread Nutella on middle third of crepe.  Add bananas and let it warm while you fold both wings of crepe over banana and Nutella into a triangle.  Top with whip cream.


Also I had previously promised working on my knitting post.  I gathered together all the projects I had accomplished this year so far and I was surprised.  I thought I'd only gotten through one or two things.  Turns out I'm working on project number four, which is a turnaround time of about a project a month!  Not bad.  Not bad.


The first item to come off the needles this year was the Annabella Cowl designed by Churchmouse Yarns.  It was a very easy knit and a good one for anyone who's a beginner.  I used Cascade Yarns Eco Duo which is natural colors and the stripping was a bit of a surprise!  It's an Alpaca/Merino blend, which means it's lusciously soft.  And that's good because this cowl is meant to be worn as a hood when it's really cold.


I knit most of this while Mom was in the hospital and after she came home and recovered from emergency gall bladder surgery right before her birthday this year.  It was a good stress/worry relieving project as it had a simple pattern that you just kept knitting until you were out of yarn.

Next I made up some mittens for myself out of a pattern I'd used to make gloves for my cousins for Christmas about two Christmases ago.  I loved the pattern and while I was doing my walks in early February/March I wanted some gloves to keep my hands warm.  While I managed to finish them just as the weather started getting nicer, I'll have them for when it inevitable gets cold again this fall (but lets not think about that while it's a lovely 80 degrees out right now.)


These are from the pattern  Cloisonée  Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.  Great pattern and a quick knit.  I used Knit Picks Swish Worsted to make them soft and washable.  The colorways are Delft Heather for the body, Twilight for the first window, Wonderland Heather for the second window and White for the third window.

Then I started another hat for going to the Cabin.  You see the Cabin we own is literally four walls and a roof, and the roof doesn't even meet the walls in places.  No running water, no electricity.  We are talking rough.  And even though we go when the nights aren't too cold, it's still cold enough to want a hat in the morning and late at night, especially when your only way to warm up is layers, body heat and a fire pit   Last year I knit up a hat that was too small for me.  :(  And Melinda, whose head I believe is smaller than mine (though now that she's almost got a PhD that's debatable).  :(  So this year I was determined.  I'd worn hats that Mom had knit up during the winter and I said, "Okay sensei, teach me the ways of knitting a hat that will fit."  And she gave me the pattern (Subtly Cabled Hat by Lisa Ellis) she'd been using with all the helpful adjustments written in.  So here is my hat that fits!




Yea for warmth!  Knit in Mochi Plus, colorway Neptune Rainbow.


Then I thought to myself, "If I have a hat I also need gloves, but the kind without fingers so I can read and stuff."  Now I've made plenty of fingerless mitts, as shown previously on this blog, but I wanted the hobo-kind.  You know...with half fingers.  Luckily this last Christmas I'd bought Mom a few skeins of yarn and found patterns to go with them and they were all gloves this year.  So I found the one that already had half finished fingers called Leap! by Brooke Ramos.  (I figured Mom would want hers with finished fingers, but that's an easy fix.)  I went to my stash...the one in my bedroom, not the one in the craft room, because they are different...obviously.  I knew I had bought a number of self-striping yarns in the past and since that was what the pattern showed I thought I do the same.  I ogled all my yarn for a while and bemoaned the fact that I couldn't knit and finish 25 projects at a time and then found the self-striping yarn.  Wow, I buy REALLY nice stuff!  A little ball winding later and ta-da!  My current project!




Knit in String Theory Colorworks Resonance, colorway Ultraviolet Catastrophe.


So there ya go!  A proper blog update!

No comments: