Saturday, January 29, 2011

Blog Challenge Day 09

Your beliefs.

So let's start with the typical answer. I do believe in God and am a Catholic. I'm not going to get all preachy about what other people should believe because I also believe that everyone has a different fit for religious beliefs. I took a religions class in college and that led me to believe that all religions are ultimately searching for God and that we are probably all looking at different aspects of the same God. It's like the story of the blind men who are "seeing" an elephant with only their hands. One man feels the leg of the elephant and says, "An elephant is like a tree." Another man feels the elephant's trunk and says, "An elephant is like a snake." A third man feels the elephant's side and says, "An elephant is like a wall." Without being able to see the whole of something it is hard to describe it.

I also believe in lots of other things. When I was little I believed in unicorns and mermaids. I could've probably debated you about it. Now as you grow up some of your beliefs change and others dies away entirely. Those mermaids and unicorns were eventually replaced by a belief that there is life on other planets, that all people are ultimately good inside but situations turn them to bad choices, and that chocolate can make you feel better when you are homesick or have your heart hurt. I believe in the spirit of Santa and that everyone deserves a present at Christmas and that you should search for that one present they don't even know they wanted. I believe in love at first sight but also think that you may feel it without the other person knowing. There are millions of beliefs that I could write down but the most important one is that I believe that no one should feel alone in this world and if you do feel alone just call or write someone, anyone who knows you because you are important to each person you know.

No comments: