Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Blog Challenge Day 07

Your best friend.

I'm kinda afraid of this one. I have a lot of friends that are probably hoping their name will be here. Okay hoping is probably a stretch, but at least are probably reading this thinking their name will be here. At least two of you are also a bit upset that I never had initials of all my peeps under my senior year book photo. So here it goes.

My best girl friend. That would have to go to Nicole. She saved me in the 7th grade from being a lonely loner the whole rest of my school life. I had no friends because my old friends from 4th and 5th grade had turned on me and had spent a pretty lonely 6th grade year eating lunch in the classroom with my teacher. We became glued to each other when her friend started to turn on her and ultimately moved to another school. We had known each other from much earlier cause she was on my bus route. My house was close to the beginning of the route and hers was the last. I saved her a seat everyday faithfully. In high school we had a pretty expanded group of friends and the two of us still stuck pretty close. After high school when most everyone moved away I was still only a 30 minute (in Nicole's case 15 minute) freeway drive away at CWU. By the time I was in my internship 4 years later she was working at one of the hospitals I interned at. She was at my 21st birthday when my parents took us all out in a limo to Red Robin. She was living in an apartment in town that was close enough to the bars that we had quite a few wild times when I actually learned how to drink when I was 23. She was there when my grandma died and I needed a shoulder to absolutely bawl on. I cried when she said she was moving away. I was elated when I found out I was going to be her maid of honor at her wedding. I flew to Las Vegas to be that maid of honor and keep her from freaking out that her hair had frizzed into it's own galaxy. I was ecstatic when she told me she was pregnant and a little sad that we now lived so far apart. I threw her baby shower and kept her from killing her parents. We still talk on the phone at least once a week and though I don't see her as much as I'd like, it still feels like she lives two streets away at times. She's my adopted sister and full time best friend.

My best guy (technically) friend. That would be Eric. He's the only guy that ever wanted to take me to a dance in high school. He is one of the strongest, bravest guys I know. When I had an online semi-stalker he email the dude and scared him off good (I have no idea what he said). He made every high school moment a hundred times more funny, crazy, and memorable. He has a personality that makes you want to be a part of whatever it is he's doing. He's the guy you want to take to your class reunion. He's a great dancer and an amazing dresser. He's the only guy that's ever wanted me to have his kids. If I could marry someone like Eric that's straight...well, who wouldn't want to marry their best friend?

My best friend as an "adult". That would be post-high school, and that would be Dez. After a very rocky beginning to college, I found out that I had a roommate that was my identical twin. That wouldn't be Dez, but Kayla. We even sounded so alike on the phone that my Mom had trouble telling us apart when she'd call. We were CRAZY when put together. It was sad when she wasn't coming back the next year but she left me with something even better...Dez. She was from the same town as Kayla and we ended up as roomies the next year. Without Dez I would have had maybe one or two other friends in college. She was someone who showed me how different life could be when you didn't live at home. I knew nothing about cars, she had a 69 Chevy Chevelle Malibu that she had fixed up. Who knew guys did double takes when two girls were riding in a hot car? I knew nothing about how to live with someone besides my parents, she and I worked out a living arrangement and budgeted so well that I wish I still had that apartment and tiny bedroom. I knew nothing about how loud one person could blow their nose....okay it wasn't all roses. I had a better time at college than I would have if she hadn't been there. We've done fun road trips (driving up to the outlet store on a whim? sure!), major life moments (you're getting married in less than a month? sure!), and had great times (wanna try a Buffy the Vampire Slayer drinking game? sure!). Dez did more than just put up with me and for that, she's one of my best friends.

I am sure that I still won't get off scot-free for this one. :)

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Well, it's a pretty good post I think. But...you left our your best FAMILY friend...you know...me. ;-) I kid, I kid! =)

I'm glad you're doing the blog challenge!