Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Recipe Tuesday :: Pasta e Fagioli

It has been cold here in the Pacific Northwest as of late.  Highs not quite reaching freezing and bitter cold lows with nary a flake of snow in sight.  That means that my power bill will make me faint when it next arrives and that we spend a lot of time bundled up, feeding fires and making warm things to eat.


If you've been following my posts you'll know that I have found true love...in pot form.  We have made quite a few soups and stews in my new Le Creuset and I believe it is that pot that makes it all taste so good.  So for it's next trick it made delicious Pasta e Fagioli using the excellent recipe from Damn Delicious.  This was a Pinterest recipe find and it's a win!  I felt that the only thing that would make this recipe better for me (and my waistline) is to sub lean hamburger for half of the italian sausage.  But that's just my opinion.  So, first we rounded up the ingredients...


Then browned the italian sausage...


Diced the vegetables...


And added them to the pot...


Added the broth and tomatoes...


And let it all simmer for a while.  Lastly the beans and the precooked pasta went in and were cooked until heated through.  Here's an action shot of our autumn table!  (Please ignore the plate that is destroying this picture.  Next time I will be a better food photographer and make sure the plates are all facing the right direction.)


And of course a hearty soup needs some bread!  Our favorite is the No-Knead Bread recipe from King Arthur flour.  It doesn't take any more time than you need to make the soup and is perfection itself.  Actually it looks like we've modified the recipe a bit once I read through it.  We skip steps 3 through 5 and only let it rise on some parchment for 30 minutes at step 8.  We've also cut this recipe down by 1/3, because we don't need that much bread (funny enough I actually tried to type "knead that much bread"...aha...aha.)


And because we should always end with a cute animal shot, here is one of my sweet puppies asking if she gets any.  (Sorry but no, it has onions in it.)


No comments: