Monday, November 3, 2014

Reality Interferes

I've been gone from the blog for a while, partially due to lack of inspiration and partially due to lack of time.  This is going to be a catching up of my long and arduous pregnancy journey, so if you don't want to hear all the juicy details of my problematic lady parts you might want to skip this post.

After we got back from London I contacted my reproductive doctor in Seattle and we set out a plan for the next embryo transfer.  I started on my birth control and then they said that because of the D and C I needed to have a saline-infused sonogram (SIS).  The appointment for the SIS was this last Tuesday annnnnnndddddd it wasn't good.  First, the procedure was quite painful and then the ultrasound showed there was "something" at the top of one of the horns of my uterus.  My doctor said that it might be leftover placental products or a polyp, but it would have to be removed before we could continue with the transfer.  I was kind of devastated.  The transfer was to happen on December 1st and that would mean the baby would be born around September 1st and I was getting excited about that.  And with one SIS, poof, that future is gone again.  So my doctor talked to the surgeons at the clinic and the one that had originally seen the MRI of my septated uterus, and had said that the septum was "muscular and highly vascularized", said that she could do the surgery.  So we had a long talk about what she could do while she was up there.  She said that they could snip at the septum and reduce it's size and that they could also do a laparoscopic procedure and see if there was endometriosis.  I was fine with the septum snipping, but the laparoscopy would have involved abdominal incisions and I wasn't into that.  I don't believe that I have the symptoms that would mean I have endometriosis and it just sounded like more money again (and recovery time).  So we set to arranging a date for the surgery and the only date available was...Thursday.  Like, last Thursday.  And I took it, because I didn't have many other options.  So we drove back over on October 30th.  I couldn't eat anything all day since the surgery was supposed to be at 2:30 but it didn't start until 4:00.  We got out of the medical center around 7 PM and Mom drove us to the hotel we were staying at for the night.  It turns out that once they put the camera up there both horns looked perfectly normal.  The surgeon ended up only doing the septum snipping and it turns out that it was more fibrous than she thought and she was able to remove quite a bit of it.  So if that's why I was supposed to have this surgery, so that my uterus would be more roomy, then I guess it's worth the delay.  The recovery was easy enough, not much different then what all us ladies go through each month.  The downside is that I have to wait for one to two months before I try a transfer again.  Sigh.  With winter coming on I'm not sure if I'll try in a couple of months or wait a bit longer until the pass is a little bit less snowy.

So there it is.  My story is a continuing up and down of it's-going-well and if-there-might-be-a-problem-there-probably-will-be.  Don't worry.  I'm not too bummed.  I'm gonna use it as ammo to exercise like crazy and lose a whole bunch more weight (or at least the 10 pounds I put on this summer).  Next up some autumn foods that don't help the waistline but taste delicious...

1 comment:

Melinda said...

What a roller coaster! I'm sure that was really disappointing. I love all the fall stuff you've been pinning :)