Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Recipe Tuesday :: Apple Fritters

I have made a big blog decision recently.  I'm going to make an effort to try and keep a more tidy blog structure and instead of bombarding you with recipes and pictures of food on most every post, I'm going to keep them to "Recipe Tuesdays."  Some of these will be things I cooked a while ago, but I think it's fun to look forward to a single day of food posts, rather than looking at my blog and thinking, "Is that the only thing she does?"  So with that introduction here we go!

On Halloween it has become tradition for Mom and I to make doughnuts.  You've already seen the Apple Cider Doughnuts we made about a week later, but on Halloween I made apple fritters.  We've got such a surplus of apples this year that I have been trying out plenty of apple recipes from my Pinterest boards.  This Glazed Apple Fritter recipe by The Kitchn turned out to be an all day affair.


There was the large amount of apples I had to peel and dice, the multiple rising steps and of course, the frying.  I also found out that while making the dough the instructions got pretty confusing.  I added the dry yeast to the dry ingredients like it said, but the dough was never going to come together without some water.  I'm not sure if the instructions were wrong and I was supposed to activate the yeast first in some warm water or if they forgot to tell you to add some water later.  In any case, my advice is to add warm water by tablespoon full until the dough comes together properly.




I do have to give this recipe props for it's amazing glaze which I modified for the apple cider doughnuts later.




And since I was slaving in the kitchen all day on these guys I called to have some pizza delivered.  It was my favorite older gentleman delivery guy and he asked if I was making pumpkin pie in there.  I said, no it was apple fritters, and his eyes lit up.  This made me think of myself as a cartoon version of Wiley Coyote trying to lure unsuspecting elders of advanced age with a sign that says "Free Apple Fritters." Trust me, they'd all go for it.




The biggest challenge I came up against with this one was that when I was ready to fry them up I didn't have enough oil.  We had a Costco sized jug of it, but there wasn't enough to get me up to the immersion point of my thermometer.  Luckily (or unluckily for her) Mom was working the noon to 8:30 shift at work that day (after we'd driven back from Seattle after I'd had my septum surgery) so I called her and she dropped by the grocery store to pick up some more.  We were frying doughnuts until after midnight.  Does that make them All Saints' Day doughnuts instead of All Hallows' Eve doughnuts? (Just a little Catholic humor for you...)  And usually we dress up the dogs in costumes but that didn't happen either so here are our two beautiful black cats who are always ready for Halloween.




No comments: