Friday, February 4, 2011

Blog Challenge Day 12

What's in your Bag?

Well that depends on which bag you're talking about. Let's start with the bag every woman carries...her purse. I was not into big purses when I started carrying one. I still don't like those bags that look like carpet bags, but I do have a moderately large purse. It all started when I had to start carrying around things like a driver's license and cash. This began with a small purse to carry the necessities. When I went to college I needed to carry a checkbook as well (it was 2000, debit cards were new and rarely accepted...). Also I got my first cell phone (with 30 whole minutes of call time a month!) and more ID cards for college. This led to a wallet and the accoutrements of checkbook, pen and cell phone. As time went on I "needed" to carry more and more things in my purse. Today there is not only my checkbook, wallet, coin purse and cell phone but also my iPod touch and a set of earbuds (for games for when I get bored/when I need music in the car/when I am at a yarn store and want to buy yarn for a pattern I keep in my iBooks app), a small tape measure and calculator (for when I am at Home Depot and need to quickly calculate how many pavers I need in a certain square foot area/when I am at Target and need to measure a piece of furniture to see if it will fit where I want to put it), Kleenex and a small pharmacy of pills (for headaches/stuffy noses/acid reflux/bathroom issues), mascara and lip stick (for who knows what), eye drops and chapstick (for those dry contacts and dry lips), nail clippers (to MacGyver yourself out of any situation), a note pad (for drawing/writing notes and such), my car keys plus an extra set (in case you need to drop it off at the shop at a moments notice/get locked out) and other occasional items (gum, candy, chocolate, feminine products, etc). There was a funny situation recently at Keirsten's birthday dinner where someone needed Advil, someone else needed some fake Sudafed and another needed a Kleenex and I just kept pulling things out of my purse. It does seem like a never-ending magic bag at times.

If you see me at work all the time then you know I also have another bag, my knitting bag. In it I keep at least one, but sometimes two or three, knitting projects that I am working on. On the handle is a row counter that's on a beaded band that I made and can be removed easily. In the pocket is a tape measure for measuring your work for those times when the pattern says "knit in stockinette for 9 inches." Also is a pair of scissors for snipping your yarn, a pen for marking notes on the pattern, a small crochet hook for picking up dropped stitches, and assorted scraps of paper or Post-it Notes with parts of patterns written on them for whatever project I was working on at the time and didn't want to copy off the whole pattern. These are the necessities for any knitter.

Reading both of these maybe I do need one of those carpet bags...I could combine the two and never be left for want of things to do while I wait. I was sitting in a movie theater just last week waiting for the movie to start and turned to Mom and said..."I wish I had my sock to work on."

Looks like I am turning into my Grandmother after all...

2 comments:

Melinda said...

haha, I've been putting off this challenge for awhile because I wasn't sure which bag to do either! Maybe I'll do them all! :)

california girl said...

what is a carpet bag?