Monday, August 31, 2015

Small Trips :: Enumclaw and Langley

There weren't any big amazing trips this year, but Mom and I did get out to a few places.  It was really about maximizing what we could do in a single day and getting to see some new things.  My obsession with Outlander is still pretty intense, so the first trip we took was to Enumclaw Washington to go to the Scottish Highland Games.


It was a blast!  I was really stoked to see the pipe and drum competition and we arrived early enough to get to walk around through the marketplace first.  I was hoping to pick up something tartan and hopefully in a MacDonald clan pattern since we have ties to them.  My grandmother's-mother's-father's-great-great-great-grandfather came over from Scotland to Nova Scotia in the 1800's, so the ties are distant but who isn't excited to be a little bit Scottish?  They had plenty of tartans to choose from and lots of kilts, shirts and jewelry was available too.  The other exciting thing they had was in the way of food though, Fisher Fair Scones!  The Fair Scone truck hasn't make it to our fair in years and Mom and I got a strawberry shortcake to make quick work of and six scones to save for later.  It was as delicious as I remember.  On our way around the food and marketplace we saw some traditional dances and music, a small Scottish Highland village with women spinning yarn and men making weapons, and people participating in the actual games competition.  Every clan had their own tent and other groups, such as these Outlander fanatics, did too...

I know this isn't the MacDonald clan, but it's an Outlander thing.




Isn't that kid adorable in that wee kilt?!

Then we waited in the longest imaginable line to get some food (seriously every line to a food booth was a good 15-20 minutes of standing) and then the pipe and drums got under way.  I should have taken some video but I guess you'll have to make do with someone else's.



I fell in love with the music they play on Outlander and ended up getting the soundtrack by Bear McCreary.  Even if you don't love bagpipes he will change your mind about them with his amazing music.


Then while we were over in Seattle we took a day-trip over to Whidbey Island.  Both Mom and I love riding on the ferries around the sound or out to the San Juan Islands, so we of course took one over to Whidbey.  I had read in a magazine about the town of Langley and eating pie at Whidbey Island Pies and I was going to make it happen.  After one of my appointments we drove up to Mukilteo and took the ferry over...




And then drove to Langley...before any of the shops opened!  The town was very cute and looking through the windows, the stores looked very nice too.




There was one store open that sold pet supplies and we looked around for a new retractable leash because one of ours had gotten stuck at as a very small leash.  No luck.  So we walked all the way down the main street and sat for a while near this interesting bench...


And listened to the people coming and going.  We were sort of waiting around for 11:00 because most of the shops opened then.  As we wandered back up the street we saw a bookstore open, so we went in and meandered around, but didn't find anything we needed desperately.  There was a yarn store there that I was thinking of going in, but 11:00 came and went and it remained closed.  Beach time you know is 11ish.  I peered through the window and didn't see anything I couldn't live without and we didn't see the place I was looking for to eat pie.  A quick internet search showed that the cafe was actually a bit north in Greenbank.  Back on the road with nav-lady and we found Greenback Farm and Whidbey Island Pies!



The cafe was so quaint!  It felt like we stepped into a small British country cafe.  We ordered a BLT-like panini for lunch and it was so delicious!



And then it was time for pie.  Blueberry for me, triple berry for Mom...






The crust was perfect and the pies were tasty with generous amounts of ice cream.  I could have tried one of each flavor, but was stuffed.  We wandered around the farm and I picked up some jams made there on the island while Mom picked up some locally made wines.  All in all it was an enjoyable trip including the ferry ride back.  Now I have to start working on the perfect homemade pie crust...


No comments: