Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Recipe Tuesday :: Chocolate Orange Cupcakes


Well, that was quite a break!  Sorry about the radio silence for the past 3 weeks, but life got busy and complicated and I just felt like curling up into a ball and sleeping the stress away instead of blogging.  But I'm back!  And there will be a life post soon, but since it is Tuesday, a recipe blog was required.  It gets me back into the swing of things too.


My Aunt Carla follows my blog and has to endure the torture of seeing all the cupcake blogs I post, but never getting to taste them.  (I'm sure she's part of a large group out there...and by large I mean all 30 of you that read my blog.)  But she put in a special request for her birthday, Chocolate Orange cupcakes.  I've known that this is one of her favorite flavor combinations and I had all sorts of ideas of a chocolate cupcake with orangey essence in it, maybe an orange curd inside and a chocolate ganache on top.  The time I had didn't allow for curd making however, so off to Pinterest I went and came back with Dark Chocolate Orange Cupcakes by Bake for Coffee.





Now I tweaked the recipe (of course!), trading out the milk in the cupcakes for buttermilk and trading out the milk in the frosting for heavy cream.  The buttermilk trick was from my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe which was almost identical to this one without it.  And the heavy cream was to make the frosting creamier, obviously.


They turned out really good and I topped the cupcakes with pieces of Lindt Intense Orange dark chocolate bar.  They went over great, though Carla said that buttercream wasn't her favorite frosting.  We both agreed that next year it should be chocolate ganache!


No comments: