Tuesday, September 8, 2015

I go to the sea to breathe...


Do you feel like you leave a part of your soul in places that are special to you?  The place you go to relax, a place where you have an adventure that re-energizes your soul or a place where happy memories are made with the ones you love?  And when you go back to that place you can pick up that piece of your soul you left behind and feel whole again?  Okay, maybe that's a bit over dramatic. But I love Cannon Beach so much that I feel I live there all the time and that I live my life at home for a while and then go back and pick up that other life and it fits so well and I'm so happy I wonder which life I would be happier in.  We all know we are often happier on vacation than off, but really there would be no way to sustain it.  So I enjoy every moment I'm there but I'm also happy to come home.





This year my cousin Melinda and her two children visited us for a day at the beach.  The weather was fine and I finally had someone who wanted to splash in the waves as much as I did!  It's been so many years since I jumped waves, splashed around, let the incoming tide rush up my legs as I stand there letting it soak my pants.  So. Many. Years.  I also forgot how much I love it!







Sand...*sigh*

We had such a good day!  We ate at Morris' Fireside restaurant, which was always our eating place when all my cousins would go with Mom and Gram.  I got clam chowder and Melinda said that just looking at it she knew what it tasted like.  She tried some and was happy it did still taste the same!


Since I'd missed Number 1's birthday and Number 2's is coming up soon, we went over to the toy store and they each picked out something good.  We also went down to the candy store, of course!  There's no way you could go to Cannon Beach without stopping at Bruce's Candy Kitchen.  All sugared up and new toys acquired, Melinda got the lucky task of driving home two crazy kids.  One can only hope they fell asleep...20 minutes before she made it there.  :)

Later that day there was an amazing storm coming in over the water...


It got closer and closer...and then the rain started.  It got harder and harder until it was almost horizontal and then some tiny hail was added in.  It was quite a downpour outside.  And then it was a downpour inside!  Water started coming through the small accent light in the mini-kitchen in a small stream.  We ran over and rescued food and candy and then stuck the ice bucket underneath.  Disaster temporarily fixed we called the front desk and they said that the people above us had called too.  The water was coming in their room from the balcony because of a blocked drain.  About that time water started leaking from the ceiling in our room around the fire sprinkler!  A couple of dog bowls under that one and we waited out the storm.  It disappeared as quickly as it came it, though it took a little longer for our indoor waterfall to stop.  Maintenance went up and cleaned out the drain on the balcony above and then came down to see what they could do for us.  There was really nothing to do besides giving us a bunch of towels to soak up the water.  Eventually it stopped and the sun came back out.










Other than that adventure, our vacation was fairly calm.  We walked the beach down to our favorite coffee shop, Sea Level, every morning.  A caramel mocha and a maple pecan roll for each of us and then the walk back to the hotel was required to work it off.  The puppies love walking the beach and meeting new dogs or following their noses to some detritus they find terribly appealing.  But this year Ariel seemed to have a bit of arthritis.  She would walk only so far and then sit.  This made getting to the coffee shop difficult.  The very first day we only walked part of the way and then headed back and drove down.  It would've taken all day to walk there and back with her sitting.  So we did what all good (dog) parents do; we bought a stroller.  That's right she rode up and down the beach this year and she loved it.  I have to say it was pretty cute.






And the clouds were amazing this year!  I couldn't stop taking pictures of them!  Other than the one rainstorm they didn't sprinkle on us.  Just built these amazing clouds up everyday over the Coastal Range.




It was a wonderfully relaxing vacation.  There was knitting and donut eating, movies and coloring, porch sitting and sea shell finding, puppy petting and stuffing yourself with chocolate.  I managed to finish the top part of my Outlander shawl, so a photo shoot was required.











And then all too soon it was time to go home.  Until next time, my beloved beach...

1 comment:

Melinda said...

LOVE the pictures!! Sounds like a really relaxing vacation - except perhaps for the leak. You'll have to tell me more about how you got some of these nice shots :)