Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Recipe Tuesday :: Chocolate Croissants

I was looking for a nice recipe to give you all this Tuesday but I didn't plan too well.  I got up on Monday and searched my Pinterest boards for something that I had wanted to cook, but hadn't made yet.  I crux of the problem was that I had to have the ingredients at hand.  And while lemon zucchini bread and apple muffins sounded delicious I didn't have all the ingredients.  But then I found a recipe for 3-Ingredient Nutella Croissants by Gimme Some Oven!  I always have Nutella and puff pastry hanging around so this sounded easy.


On another note, Mom recently got me a book of French phrases (which I take as a hint that we should start planning a trip back to Europe) and in it there is a section that tells you what's in the food or pastries.



One of them is pain au chocolat or chocolate croissants, which sound amazing.  Well, we all know that Nutella is like magic chocolate, so Nutella croissants have to be even more delicious!  So off I went to the freezer to find the puff pastry that's usually in there annnnnnd nothing.  I searched high and low and resigned myself to the fact that I really need to clean out my freezer.  I opened the refrigerator and another opportunity presented itself.  Crescent rolls.  We had bought some that you were supposed to put Hershey's in and make chocolate crescent rolls and I instantly changed that to Nutella in my head.  What's better than 3-Ingredient Nutella Croissants?  2-Ingredient Nutella Croissants!!  Voila!


Besides, they were one day past the expiration.  Sacrifices must be made and they had to be used.


So we rolled them out, separated them and spread Nutella on them liberally...



Then rolled them up into croissants...


And baked them according to the package directions...


While they were easy and fast, I think the puff pastry would have tasted better.  I feel like I've eaten enough Crescent rolls at dinner that the flavor just seems suited better to savory than sweet.  The puff pastry would be a sweeter, more breakfast/dessert type of dough.  So ultimately this is a recipe that's perfect the way it is and can't be made more delicious or easier.  Better clean out that freezer and stock it with more puff pastry.


No comments: