Monday, April 20, 2015

Catching Up...

Lots of things have been afoot again and the blog has been neglected.  Some of it good and some of it bad.  But let's start back where I left you around my birthday...


On my birthday I had an ultrasound appointment in Seattle for my second embryo transfer and we got to do some fun stuff afterwards.  Mom and I went to the U Village and did some shopping, ate a birthday cupcake from Trophy Cupcakes and went up to visit Weaving Works at their new location.  I got a beautiful shawl pin that reminded me of the ones seen on Outlander.  Then we met up with two of my friends from high school, Paul and Megan and Megan's son Alden, for lunch at the Spaghetti Factory.  Unfortunately they aren't open for lunch during the week and we ended up going across to Paddy Coyne's Irish Pub on the waterfront.  The food was good and it was a great time catching up with friends that you can just jump in where you left off and feel like no time has passed at all.




Mom, of course, gave me some really awesome stuff for my birthday including two more teapots and a 35mm f/1.8 lens for my Nikon.  I'm spoiled and I know it.  :)


On March 26th we went back to Seattle for the actual embryo transfer.  This time there were two embryos that had been frozen together, one graded 5A (the best) and the second graded 2B (not too bad).  I had told my doctor that if both made it I wanted them both transferred.  I admit I spent time imagining what it would be like to have twins.  But 2B didn't make it through the thaw, even though I was hoping it would be a fighter.  So we ended up transferring just 5A and I spent the rest of the day resting.  The next morning I threw my back out and had to spend even more time laying around.  I eventually got my back into shape and more limber again through rest and taking it easy.  On the Monday after Easter Sunday I did my pregnancy test.  It was negative.  I was crushed.  I didn't know what to do.  Mom was at her radiation appointment and when she got home I was filing papers from last year trying to find all the power bills we got so we could estimate our bills for this year.  With her income going to monthly we decided to start an account that we could both put money into to pay our joint bills with me putting money in every two weeks and her putting in money once a month.  I was just trying to keep my mind off the inevitable.  But we talked and cried about it of course.  I wasn't sure we'd have the money to go through another IVF cycle but Mom said we did.  I'm willing to do it and we'll see what more information my doctor has when we go back for the follow-up appointment.  My doctor said that the first IVF cycle can be diagnostic, so maybe they'll have a better idea of how to adjust the gonadotropins as we go along.  It's possible that none of these embryos would have made a baby and I am honestly glad that the test was negative instead of having another anembryonic pregnancy like the last time.  I'm just disappointed and was depressed for a while.  But I can't sustain the negativity.  I'm not going to be able to start the IVF cycle until August and between now and then I'm going to do what I can to make it more successful by trying to lose some more weight.  The lower my BMI the better the effect of the drugs they give me.  I've gained back some of those pounds I lost, so it's time to lose those plus another 20!

Besides my depression keeping me from feeling like blogging, I've been busy knitting too.  I've got two pairs of hats and booties to make for my cousin and my hairdresser.  My cousin Erin is having a little girl and she hasn't had her baby shower yet, so here is just a teaser of her knitted items...


And my hairdresser Arlyne is having a baby boy.  The last time I'll see her before she goes on maternity leave is the 23rd, so I'm knitting like a demon to get it done.  Here is her knitted item teaser...


Besides that I've been immersing myself in Outlander-world.  The second half of season 1 started up again on April 4th and we bought STARZ just so we could see it.  It wasn't going to show up on iTunes for a while and I couldn't wait.  I decided to watch first and then read the book because that was how I did the first half of the season and I was happier with dealing with the discrepancies between book and show that way.  Now that we are a couple of episodes in I'm reading again and listening to the audiobook on the drive to work and back.  On an aside I have to say that I LOVE Amazon!  I'll read my Kindle book at night and then in the morning I turn on my Audible app and it will ask if I want to start where I left of in the Kindle book!  Then when I go to my book at night I just go to the chapter search area and it asks if I want to go to the furthest point read from the audiobook!!  AhMazing!!  I've also joined a Mystery-Knit-Along for Outlander on Ravelry even though I'm still waiting for the yarn they dyed in a special colorway called Craig Na Dun.  I've been watching other people's projects as the clues show up and I decided I'm not sure I want to used the yarn!  It's really variegated and the shawl has these beautiful cables that disappear in the mix of colors.  I really liked one person's project who used a different yarn that is much more even in color so I ended up buying some of that too.  One can never have to much yarn...  :)

No comments: