Monday, June 16, 2014

Sunday Farmer's Market

Sundays (when I'm not working) means going to church, doing as little as possible and, when it's warm, going to the Yakima Farmer's Market!  This Sunday was one of those good days.  Join me for a stroll through...

A Farmer's Market wouldn't be complete without some live music!
We started off with warm mini donuts!  It doesn't matter where I am, a warm donut tossed in a bag, shaken with a bunch of cinnamon and sugar and eaten right away makes me happy.  This is a new stall this year I believe, either that or I missed them last year!!



Next we perused more healthy options, veggies!  Look at that garlic and asparagus...


Mom picked up some of that garlic since we were low at home and, of course, some asparagus.  You got to eat it while it's in season!  Might as well get it fresh from the farm rather than at the supermarket.  The had lots of beautiful vegetables and I loved the look of their radish bunches!

People bring their dogs along to the market and we've taken Toby and Ariel in the past, but I've never seen someone take their parrot with them!!



It's not only cherry season for our pie cherries, it's cherry season in general, though it's a bit early.  The Rainer and Bing cherries were out (if not still a wee bit pricey at $5 a pound)!


With the mild and not too rainy spring we've had the cherries are BIG this year!  As we ate them Mom and I kept commenting back and forth, "Look how big THIS one is!"

I love looking at the flower stalls, both cut and plantable, that are at the Market.  They are always so pretty and a nice contrast to all the fruits and vegetables available.  I've never bought anything yet, but some day maybe I'll not feel like buying cut flowers is somehow a waste.  An idea probably instilled by my grandmother, no doubt.


Grammy would have approved of the hen and chicks, though.
There is also tons of yummy bread available, if you're so inclined.  We got a loaf of the "Sicilian" bread, a white dense tasty bread that goes well with honey or some homemade jelly.

By then our bag was pretty full!  We passed by the strawberries...

And the raspberries...

But figured we could carry a bag of Kettle Korn.  It's been along time my friend and I crave your salty-sweet goodness!
Looks like everyone had a craving, they were almost out!
And after passing plenty of food vendors...


We joined the long line of people waiting for some yakisoba, fried rice and barbecued chicken.  A delicious Sunday lunch!


No comments: