Thursday, July 17, 2014

Randomly on a Thursday

The randomness of Thursday.  Not Friday, not Monday, heck not even Wednesday.  It's like Tuesday's ugly step-sister.  Here's what mine was like...

I held a triffle bowl in my lap all the way to work this morning.  No, not just for the fun of it, because we were having a potluck at work.  Normally I use potholders because the darned thing is so cold when it comes out of the fridge and it freezes my hands on the way into work.  (I ride shotgun in the mornings and Mom drives...no need to think I'm completely crazy.)  Today the bowl was pleasantly cool because it was close to 70 degrees already at 6 am.

Had my first hot flash today at work.  Just started Medrol and progesterone and thought that maybe that was the reason.  In reality everyone said it was pretty hot in the lab.  Channeled my grandmother and used a piece of cardboard to fan myself.  (Fun memory that elicited - Erin and I playing Taboo in college and me using "Grammy fans herself with this!" as a clue.  BTW, Erin got it first try - "paper plate!")

On the drive home I almost got in a car wreck!  It was REALLY close.  Driving on the little piece of freeway between two bridges about three cars merged in front of me and then slammed on their brakes!  I pushed my brake into the floor and the anti-locks kicked in.  The two tan cars in front of me bumped each other a couple of times, no real damage there, and I managed to stop before I rammed them both.  Once I stopped I looked in my rearview and saw this big Cadillac barreling down.  It managed to pull out into the other lane and missed me and the car behind it managed to stop as well.  Then I went into total adrenaline shock.  I was shaking and hyperventilating a little.  The cars in front of me put on their flashers saying they weren't going to move and I was stuck.  Finally the cars behind pulled out and went around and I was able to back up and get around.  Ahead of the tan cars was three more cars all crunched and a white pickup with it's hood all scrunched with glass everywhere.  Yikes!  You can bet everyone had perfect car placement with at least a whole car-length or more between us all as we drove into town.  SO CLOSE.

And then as we were dinking around at home before making dinner and watching the terrible news about that passenger plane, the dogs started barking and running towards the screen door.  Mom went down and looked and it was one of the kittens that have been running around the yard.  We have a glaring of white cats living under our decks (I've always wanted to use a "glaring of cats" in a sentence!  Mission complete!).  Not our choice, they've just decided it looks like a good place to live. We don't feed them and they are truly feral.  You can't even look at them without them running.  But about a week ago Mom found a kitten out between the garages.  She could get really close to it and we fed it some kitten chow because it was so skinny.  It's all white with shockingly blue eyes.  I decided to name it Gus.  We figured it could live outside and maybe with more food we could catch it and get it fixed.  A few days later we saw that there seem to be three kittens total, two all white and one white and gray.  Mom looked on the internet, because she had a hunch, and it seems that white cats with blue eyes are often deaf.  That was why we could get so close to it without it running.  We've heard them crying in the night and Mom has been worrying about it for all this time.  Well today, that's who the dogs were barking at while it slept under the grapevines.  No response.  So I told her to go get it.  She crept up and easily scooped it up.  So we went to PetSmart, got all the necessities and we have a new family member.  Meet Gus.



1 comment:

Erin said...

Gus is so cute!!!! Those Taboo games sure were fun!