Saturday, January 26, 2013

Spring where art thou?

I know that it's still January, but I am definitely ready for the temperature to warm up.  It's like living in a very cold Hawaii around here.  You know how the high is always around 80 and the lows are around 70 in Hawaii?  Same for Eastern Washington right now except the high is 30 and the low is 20.  I think every time I've gone outside recently it's been 26. If it's 6 in the morning? 26 degrees.  Around 4 when I get off of work? 26 degrees.  And always cloudy/foggy.  It's the inversion layer that usually settles in this time of year, trapping all the cold temperatures in the valleys and letting the pass warm up to 45 or 50 some days.  With all the depressingly consistent weather, I have been looking to my seed catalogs for hope.  I did the seed inventory left over from last year and tossed everything that was over 2 years old.  The seeds become less faithful in germinating as time goes on, so out they go.  That meant that there was a lot of new seeds to buy, which doesn't hurt my feelings but does hurt the pocketbook.  I picked different varieties of all sorts of veggies.  New peas, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, corn...the list goes on and on.  We are also doing a whole drying bean section of the garden this year!  White beans, red beans, split peas and more!  At the end of the summer we tend to get neglectful of the garden and these are perfect for that.  You grow them and ignore them until they are dried on their vines and then harvest them.  I'm planning on putting together little jars of mixed beans for Christmas presents and attaching a soup recipe to it.  So excited!
I've also got a couple of knitting projects going on.  The infinity scarf I started for my cousin Katey after Christmas is coming off the needles as we speak (pictures to follow) and since my hands have been so cold I am planning a couple of different fingerless mitt projects.  I know Melinda is creeped out by fingerless gloves, but I find them perfect!  I get warm hands and I still can read a book, knit or type up a blog.  So here are the two that I've got the yarn and patterns for...

First I am making two pairs of these, one for me and one for Mom.  I found the perfect yarns that are light brown/grey/cream that make me think of barn owls...

Then I got some yarn in this fabulous color.

And I'm going to make these with it...

All that and reading too!  When do I have time for work? ;)

1 comment:

Melinda said...

It's true, they freak me out. I tend to think one of two things has caused them to be in this deplorable unfinished state: either you're too poor to afford all the yarn you needed OR something found your mitten and started unraveling it. Neither option sounds very good in my opinion.