Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Recipe Tuesday :: Hummingbird Cupcakes


Everyone has a favorite cupcake and I would have to say mine is carrot cake, which isn't what this post is about.  It's about Hummingbird cupcakes, which no one really knows what they are.  My best description is carrot cake, minus the carrot.  So...pretty much, delicious!  Whenever we go over to Seattle and get treats at Trophy Cupcakes I always pick Hummingbird.  I just love the spice cakey-pineapple moistened-cream cheese topped goodness.





Since it was a potluck week at work and not someone's birthday the flavor was my choice and I'd been itching to try my hand at a Hummingbird cupcake recipe.  Enter this recipe from A Spicy Perspective.  And it is AHmazing!



The cake isn't overly sweet, but flavorful and moist and dense in the way homemade cake should be.  I ended up topping it with the classic cream cheese frosting recipe I use instead of the sour cream frosting she has in the recipe.  (Cream Cheese Frosting = 2 bricks of cream cheese, 1 stick of butter, 2 Tablespoons heavy cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 4 to 5 cups powdered sugar, bring butter and cream cheese to room temp and then beat it all in a mixer until it stands up as frosting should adding more or less powdered sugar as needed.)  I will definitely try her frosting the next time.  I'm never averse to adding sour cream to anything...




I also topped the cupcakes with raw sugar instead of sprinkles, not that they are very different, but because it held with the "rustic" nature of the cupcake.  All in all, the best cupcake yet in my humble opinion.

No comments: