Thursday, February 12, 2015

Three Things Thursday :: The Girl on The Train, British Magazines and Americanos

It's been a while since I've posted about what I'm loving right now so here they are!



I start this book on February 6th and I'm already halfway through it.  Dang those free Kindle samples from Amazon!  I saw a review about it in my Entertainment Weekly and it sounded like a good read, especially since it was about a girl who rides the train into London and watches the goings on of people in the houses that have gardens against the tracks.  I could immediately see those houses in my mind because I enjoyed looking into those same gardens on our rides on the train when we were there.  I admit that I have crytoscopophilia (cry-toe-sco-po-feel-e-ah), as do many people.  Crytoscopophilia is a word brought to me by the Yarn Harlot from her book All Wound Up and it is the urge to look into people's windows as you pass.  As she says, this doesn't make you a stalker because the "as you pass" part is what separates you.  Ultimately it is the enjoyment of getting a snapshot of someone's life, as you would from a picture.  People making dinner, watching TV, playing with their kids or even knitting, drinking coffee on a patio or hanging laundry out to dry.  When we were in England I loved seeing the little garden room additions or the laundry strung from one side of the garden to the other.  I liked seeing the uniquely British part of their lives and the other things that were common to us all.  So this book intrigued me deeply and in the first few chapters I was sucked in and bought it.  It is also a thriller as one day she see's a woman that she watches kissing a man who isn't her husband.  A woman who ultimately goes missing.  Where is she?  If she's dead who killed her?  Who knows what's going on and who doesn't?  I like that the author displays life with all it's intricacies; where we look at someone else's life from the outside and see it as perfect but then we get to see the inside and real goings on.  The main character is a very fractured person and rather than identifying with her I feel almost protective of her.  While everyone's life in the novel isn't perfect why has she been dealt the worst hand?  I want her to find victory and happiness, to overcome her drinking and bad choices and be able to pull her life together.  But I don't know yet if she's involved somehow...



Oh my British magazines how I love thee!  Luckily enough I have found that our local bookstore, Inklings, carries these and I frequent it monthly for my editions.  I tried to have it delivered to our house, but it was only available in a tablet edition and there is just something about having a real magazine that makes it better.  I'm sure you've seen these in my pictures recently as I've been obsessed for a while.  I love reading them bit by bit and seeing what sorts of British style I can incorporate into my house.  You are all aware of my love of tea and the Anglophile that I've become, so none of this should be a surprise.  But really you should grab one!  They are so quaint!

Americano

At Christmas time I was drinking Cinnamon Lattes but then I found a drink that was the best tasting low calorie espresso around...the Americano!  Now I will admit that I am not fluent in the language of espresso drinks and I didn't know what exactly the difference was between them.  An Americano is shots of coffee in hot water rather than milk.  How is this different from brewed coffee you ask?  Well it is much more smooth and can be stronger than brewed coffee based on the number of shots you get in it.  I like to add one more shot than they usually put in whatever size I order and I add Splenda and a splash of cream.  And I'll admit the best Americanos I get are at work.  I typically only get a tall but with two shots.  They use Lincoln Ave Espresso coffee and it is soooooo gooooooood.  My current weakness for sure.  So much so that I've been researching small home espresso makers but I keep chickening out.  I think I'll let the experts handle this and just keep forking over the $2.50.  ;)

No comments: