Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Strawberry Cream Cheese Turnovers

I had to work on Easter this year and since my employer doesn't pay us holiday pay on Easter I thought I should do something nice for everyone.  I found this homemade cream cheese Danish recipe on Pinterest and they were a big hit.  Also around this time of year McDonalds sells these fabulous strawberry cream pies.
So since I had extra puff pastry sheets and cream cheese and also some strawberries, I decided to give my own version a try.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Turnovers

2 sheets Puff pastry (room temp)
1 8oz brick cream cheese (room temp)
4 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg + water for "glue"
Strawberries diced w/ sugar sprinkled on top

1.)  Heat oven to 400 degrees with the rack in the middle of the oven.
2.)  Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3.)  Mix cream cheese, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla together in a bowl and set aside.

4.)  Roll out puff pastry sheet to a "square" (mine always end up as rectangles).  Cut into even squares (or if your the rectangle kind of person, make tiny turnovers with leftover dough).

5.)  Place a pastry square on parchment lined cookie sheet.  Slather some cream cheese mixture (about 1 to 2 Tbsp) on half of the square diagonally.  Top with strawberries.

6.)  Fold over dough into a triangle.  Spread egg glue on edge, press top down, then using a fork crimp the edges.  Stab the turnover 3 times with the fork to allow air to escape.

7.)  Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees on the middle rack.



My turnovers ended up spilling out most of their innards.  So I did a little Google searching about how to make them not spill so much.  It looks like maybe I put too much cream cheese in.  You can check out this King Arthur Flour blog and see what you think.  Regardless of if the good stuff was inside or not, they were amazing!

No comments: