Friday, December 2, 2011

An Early Christmas...

So I haven't blogged in a long time, and part of that was due to my computer.  It would take forever to load and forever to do pretty much anything.  The Internet Explorer couldn't update to the newest version because I was still running Windows XP.  The Google Chrome I installed would give me an error message when I tried logging into Blogger, a Google website.  I would then have to traverse through my main blog page and voila! I was signed in. Google Chrome also had issues with security certificates for some websites, including my banking website.  You would wait and wait for it to give you an option to "reload" the website, then it would take you there.  I couldn't redeem any iTunes gift cards through iTunes, but could through the Apple website, then even that stopped working.  I had gotten Sims 3 from a friend and it would take years to load and then not work too well because I had such an old video card.  Pretty much my computer was just sitting there collecting dust.  The final straw was when I tried to defrag the hard drive and Windows said "Unable to defrag volume," while showing me a whole bunch of red fragmented files on the drive.  It was like hearing that your computer has cancer and only six months left to live.


So then one day I get a call.  It's Santa.


"Carrie, I haven't seen any blogs from you lately.  What's up?"


"Well Santa, my computer is acting stupid and I don't want to struggle with getting my pictures on there, so I can then take them to my netbook and blog them."


"Your computer huh?  Do you need a new tower?"


"Yeah, I could do with just a new tower.  Something slick with 1 TB of hard drive and 8 GB of memory.  Something I wouldn't have to worry about for another 6 years or so."


"That does sound nice.  But you know you were saying you hated it being so slow.  You know what's fast and has all that nice stuff you were talking about?  I hear they also last longer than 6 years."


"I think your talking about a Mac.  Those are really expensive aren't they?"


"It's all we use up here at the North Pole.  Lemme see what I can do."


And what do you know but a few days after Thanksgiving this appeared on my porch.







Okay, I'm kidding about the Santa part, though I do hear it's only Macs up at the North Pole.  I've been researching computers for about a year.  I looked at a couple of towers and then I saw this review on Cnet that compared computer speeds and the Mac blew them all out of the water.  So then I started dreaming.  And then I started scheming.  I looked at all the Mac options and decided that the iMac was the best deal for what I wanted.  And then I started saving.  My savings account has been taking a pretty bad hit, but it was worth it.  I also rationalized that if I could save $1,000 for a new tower, I could save another $800 more for a Mac.  I'm still working my way on becoming fluent on my new Mac and enjoying it.  So though Santa wasn't really involved, it still feels like Christmas a bit earlier than usual.




1 comment:

Melinda said...

Welcome to the other side. =) Aren't iMacs great!? It looks so pretty!